A Healthy Budget for New Hampshire
New Hampshire lawmakers are currently weighing the state budget and they need to hear from you about how their state funding decisions impact your health and wellness.
Governor Sununu released his state funding plan in February, and in April, the NH House passed their version of the budget. Now, the State Senate is reviewing the budget and they need to hear from you.
Please attend these hearings and encourage lawmakers to pass a budget which supports New Hampshire's health and wellness.
Concord: Tuesday, May 7th, 1:00 p.m.
State House, Representatives Hall
107 N Main St, Concord
Manchester: Wednesday, May 8th, 7:00 p.m.
Manchester City Hall, Aldermanic Chambers
City Hall Plaza, 900 Elm St, Manchester
Overall Budget Ask: Support a New Hampshire budget which gives children and families what they need to stay healthy.
a healthy budget includes:
early childood and family supports and services
Preserve funding added by the House to:
- Ensure access to vital home visiting services which support family stability and improve child outcomes.
- Support community-based family strengthening and support programs provided by Family Resource Centers
Health care workforce investments
New Hampshire needs to take concrete steps to address our health care workforce shortage, which is hurting our economy and preventing Granite Staters from getting the health care they need.
- Raise Medicaid reimbursement rates to help health care providers recruit and retain the workers they need to ensure access to care.
- Increase funding for the State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP), which supports health care professionals who work in medically underserved areas.
- Make investments in the health care pipeline.
A guaranteed, fully-funded alcohol fund
- New Hampshire is far from free of our substance misuse epidemic. We must ensure that the Alcohol Fund remains funded to support both Medicaid Expansion and effective prevention, treatment, and recovery.
a system of care for children
- Please support an integrated, comprehensive system of care to support all of New Hampshire's children, with statewide access to mobile crisis services.
a regulation on vaping
- Vaping is an epidemic among New Hampshire youth, and can have lifelong health and wellness consequences. Vaping is an epidemic among New Hampshire youth, and can have lifelong health and wellness consequences. HB 2 as amended by the House regulates E-cigarettes like tobacco products to ensure public health protections are in place. Please preserve this regulation.
staff to protect children from lead poisoning
- Childhood lead poisoning can drastically impact child development. In order to effectively prevent childhood lead poisoning, the state needs staff to remediate lead in homes.
adult dental benefit
Oral health is directly link to overall health. To improve public health and further combat the ongoing addiction epidemic, New Hampshire must help to expand oral care to those in need.
- Fund a Medicaid dental benefit.
tips for budget hearings
- Arrive early! You want to sign in to testify as early as possible.
- Keep your testimony short and sweet! These hearings typically run for many hours with testimony on many different topics.
- Make your ask clear. Support a budget which will keep New Hampshire healthy.
- Share your personal story. Briefly illustrate the need for effective health and wellness programs in our state.
- Bring written testimony. With limited time to summarize your testimony in front of the committee, having written testimony to hand in will help lawmakers remember your points.